About the TOA
The Texas Ophthalmological Association is a non-profit organization founded in 1956 to promote and advance the science and art of medical eye care.
Current membership is approximately 844 physicians.
The headquarters for the TOA is located in Austin.
The TOA has been named a "Model State Society" by the American Academy of Ophthalmology 5 times and has received the Academy's "Special Recognition Award" multiple times for political action and public affairs work, respectively.
The TOA provides continuing medical education programs to members.
The TOA provides representation to various legislative, regulatory, and associative bodies, including:
- U.S. Congress
- Texas Legislature
- Texas Department of State Health Services
- Texas Education Agency
- Texas Department of Public Safety
- U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Managed care organizations
- Texas Medical Association
- American Academy of Ophthalmology